This area was first settled by Woodland Era
Indians about 2,000 years ago. In 1775,
William McIntosh, Jr., son of a Scotsman and
Creek Indian woman, was born. He later
became Chief of the Lower Creek Indian
tribes that lived in Georgia. McIntosh
believed that the Indians and white settlers
could live in peace.
In 1821 he ceded Creek land to the Federal Government, and five new counties were created: Fayette, Henry, Houston, Dooly, and Monroe. Fayette is therefore an original county (not created from other counties) and the 49th in Georgia. In honor of Chief McIntosh, many towns and roads in Fayette County were originally given Scottish names.
Originally, Fayette County reached to (what is now) Atlanta and over to the other side of Jonesboro. Four counties have been carved in part from us, Campbell (now in Fulton), DeKalb, Clayton, and Spalding. Because some of the new settlers were Revolutionary War veterans, it is surmised that they were the ones instrumental in naming the county for Marquis de LaFayette, who fought alongside General George Washington in that war. Fayetteville was named as the county seat in 1823 and the present-day courthouse building in Georgia. Fayetteville remained the only city until the 1900's, although there were a number of small communities that had names.
Incorporated cities at the present time are: Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone, Woolsey and Brooks.
During the War Between The States cavalry activity took place in the middle of the county. A several-hundred Confederate wagon supply train was burned just two miles west of Fayetteville and one of the last cavalry skirmishes in the area took place the next day near what is now Peachtree City. This activity was an indirect part of The Battle of Atlanta.
In the 1930's, Margaret Mitchell spent time in Fayette County researching facts for her novel "Gone With The Wind." Her great-grandfather, Phillip Fitzgerald, came to Fayette County in the 1830's and the Fitzgeralds were the prototypes for the O'Hara's in the book. They are buried in the Fayetteville City Cemetery.
The Holliday family also were from Fayette County and one of them married a Fitzgerald, making the famed Old West character, "Doc" Holliday a "kissin' cousin' of Margaret Mitchell. "Doc's" parents took their marriage license out in the county in 1849.
In the 1950's, a group of real estate developers amassed over 12,000 acres in Fayette County to build a planned community. The city was planned to be developed into villages, each with its own shopping areas, recreational facilities, and elementary schools. Aberdeen, Glenloch, Braelinn, and Kedron are the current villages. Peachtree City was chartered March 9, 1959 and was the first successful pre-planned city in the southeast. Be sure to note the water fountain in our City Plaza, a donation of all the Japanese companies who have plants located here.